Monday, January 9, 2012

Embracing Monday






"What about your brain?"

Maureen's question threw me for a bit of a loop. As the owner of a strange but exceptionally curated consignment store, she would definitely know a thing or two about the "only beautiful or useful things" resolution that I had just proudly confessed would be my main focus for 2012.

What about my brain? What does my brain 'own'? What's useful or beautiful to my head? My resolutions are not finished, apparently. Once again, a seemingly simple statement that I stupidly expected a certain amount of verbal back patting for has turned into a huge knowledge quest, like something from a 1990s computer game. At this point, my ideas are a bit too pretentious, which is neither useful nor beautiful, to actually merit some sort of explanation. Still, hopefully everything you see below helps you better start your day, or makes you smirk into your coffee, or just distracts you a bit on the bus, which is useful & beautiful to me.

***

-Isabel is a really big deal & she completely deserves it, especially for this piece.

-Art in real life, thanks to Maud.

-Two different Globe articles with some very good, very different points.

-Magazines are generally pretty slim this time of year, so thank goodness Matchbook was SO AMAZING this month! Why aren't I in India right now? Or at least sleeping on Indian sheets...

-Urban clutter in an easy map. I wish I could get one for Halifax!

-I would love to put these up, but then I'd have to take them down every time my parents came over... 

-COOKIE TIME. Yeesh!


-Because it's Monday, here's something about Friday to make you cringe. & smile!

13 comments:

From Suns To Moons said...

You SHOULD put those up! And if your parents disapprove, claim they were made by a famous artist. Ergo, instead of thinking their daughter is a bit of a perv, maybe they'll only see her as really gullible, in an emperor's-new-clothes sort of way.

Dancing Branflake said...

I loved your resolutions! I think the great part of making resolutions is the principle of wanting to be a better person. Brain included.

Monogrammed said...

I like the only beautiful and useful things resolution. It's so easy to get tempted by the latest trend in the form of an ill fitting poor quality piece from H&M which one only wears a handful of times. I too am trying to only buy quality pieces - classics with a subtle twist to make them stand out just so.


Monogrammed

Bonnie said...

I love your resolutions so much. They seem totally attainable and realistic -- that's the best part!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

April said...

Agh, I hate when I think I've really come up with something really profound and someone, not even trying to undermine it, asks a question and you're just ugh, I didn't even think of that. It kind of takes the wing's out of my sails. But I'm glad you're embracing it! Make your mind beautiful and useful!

I like the idea of those "We had sex here" things - they're fun! But I feel the same way, except not just with my parents. Anytime anyone new came over I'd feel a little embarrassed. . . I think I'd like them better if it was innuendo instead of so blatant, though the sentiment is the same.

Alexa said...

Love love your resolutions for the year!

Kirstin Marie said...

You have wonderful resolutions!! I couldn't see all but one of your photos, but the one I saw looked delicious!

Rachel said...

best part of monday's !! :D

la petite coquine said...

I'm practically wetting myself laughing over those Facebook posts. Magical.

Anonymous said...

cant quite read your writing of some of book list. repost? :)

Nicole✗✗ said...

Oh my goodness I love the "art humor"!! That is so hilarious. You should still put them up I'm sure your parents won't mind.... haha uh yeah never mind. I hope you had an amazing Monday and well I guess week since it's already Wednesday. : )

Josie said...

I'm officially a Matchbook addict now. It's SO GOOD.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Johanna said...

Gosh, I want to travel to India so bad, too. Now I need to read the Matchbook that is sitting in my inbox!